A December Bride full movie review - Oh gosh this was bad
This one was terrible. I had high hopes, because the dude from When Calls the Heart is charming enough that i thought he'd pull this one through. Not so much. Here are the problems with this movie:
1. It was enraging that everyone wanted the lead actress to forgive her cousin. Like, my blood pressure was skyrocketing the whole movie. Here's the thing: If you steal your cousin's fiancé and get married 6 months later, you DO NOT invite the jilted cousin to the wedding, you do not put pressure on her to attend the wedding, you do not refuse to choose sides, and you do not ambush her like a family intervention so that she can *finally* get over it. Instead, the nasty cousin should expect years of appropriate shunning and consequences. Neutral family members should not be saying "oh be a bigger person and come to the wedding". Any good friend or family member would skip the wedding and take you out of town for the weekend to avoid the whole thing. My husband and i were watching this and both of us could barely make it through the movie because of this infuriating story line.
2. Why was the dude so vested in the fake wedding? what was in it for him? In real life, this would be creepy.
3. The house was gross. It was grosser after it was decorated.
4. Once they had both acknowledged that they were into each other (but before they went public about the rouse), i don't understand what the barrier was for them to getting together. Why couldn't they just be a real couple at that point? It didn't make sense that they had to break up.
5. This was one of those infuriating hallmark movies where absolutely nothing happens over the course of an hour and twenty minutes. They got fake engaged in the first 10 minutes. Then there was an hour and ten minutes of filler where they are just talking to their friends and family and having dinner and other stuff. And then, last 5 minutes, they were about to break up but no, they decide to stay together. Like, nothing in the middle. Usually these stories need a twist, like he doesn't know she owns the firm he works for and is going to have to close it by xmas! And he has an ex girlfriend with a bluetooth who keeps mucking things up! Yes, some movies can be held up solely by charming romantic banter. But "A December Bride" is not Before Sunrise or Fifty Days of Summer. The writer here is no Richard Linklater. And the girl from 90210 is not a charming manic pixie girl.
Sorry guys, this one is a dud.